Why Use Cloth Nappies?
As you can see there are a number of benefits to using cloth nappies -benefits for baby, parents and our planet! Most people who choose cloth do so for multiple reasons.
- Many families opt for cloth as their baby’s skin simply cannot tolerate disposable options or they don’t like the idea of chemicals on their bums all day.
- Many families opt for cloth for financial reasons. Disposable nappies will cost about €1,000 per child from birth to potty. Cloth is a lot less and savings are multiplied when nappies are used on another baby.
- Cloth nappies will not fill up your bins. It’s also worth noting that “pooplosions” that seem to be common in disposable nappies are rare in cloth nappies: elastic at the back of a nappy is essential for reliable poo containment!
- Not many families switch to cloth for the sake of cuteness but it’s a nice little perk when you can save money, save the planet, have an effective, comfortable nappy and also win hands down in any cuteness competitions!
- The environment is a huge factor for many families. It’s hard to believe that 5 nappies a day 365 day a year for 2.5 years tots up to almost 4500 nappies. It’s unbelievable that disposable nappies take 200-500 years to decompose in landfills: using even just one cloth nappy a day reduces that number by almost 1,000. Together we can make a huge difference -and enjoy it in the process!
Calculator: cost per nappy
Calculator: cost per month
Calculator: cost birth to potty
Local libraries do a monthly nappuccino where you can see various cloth nappies, ask questions and borrow a kit to try at home.
The best way to find out whether cloth nappies will suit your baby and your lifestyle is to try them out. Our postal loans cater for newborns, right up to toddlerhood and beyond!