Two Part Systems
A two part system consists of an inner nappy that is not waterproof (it may be fitted nappy, a flat nappy or a prefold) and they need a water proof layer that may be referred to as an outer layer, a cover, a wrap or a shell. This design is intended to allow you to reuse the waterproof layer and change only the inner nappy. This saves on washing and saves on expense too as you can buy fewer outer layers.
Inner and outer layers can be purchased together but can often be mixed and matched between different brands. Wraps come in all sorts of designs and patterns. They can come in different sizes or have snaps to adjust the size as baby grows.
- Less laundry as you don’t need to wash the outer layer every time.
- The simpler options can save on initial investment.
- Some options have two elasticated layers: the inner nappy and the outer cover. This can be great for containing poo, particularly in the early days.
- These options often take a little more time on the changing table as you need to get two parts on. This can be a slight challenge with a wiggly baby.
- Changing is a little trickier than other options for other caregivers to get right.
- Some options can be quite bulky and it may be difficult to fit bums in.
- Two-in-one systems are slightly more complicated for other care givers to get the hang of.
A “fitted nappy” is one option for the inner part of a two part system. It is shaped quite like a disposable nappy or some of the other cloth nappy options, but it is not water proof and hence the need for a wrap.
A “flat nappy” is one option for the inner part of a two part system. It is not shaped and you may need to fold some types (called prefolds). It is not water proof and hence the need for a wrap.
An all-in-two nappy consists of an inner nappy and a cover. The nappy can be attached to the cover, so a nappy change does not involve putting on two separate parts. Covers must be matched to the correct insert to make use of this advantage, but they can usually fit over other inserts too. Like other two part systems, covers do not need to be washed at every change.